The Place-Based Climate Action Network has established a PCAN 'Network Plus' for climate commissions and similar partnership-based groups, local authorities and other organisations seeking to establish a collaborative approach to local climate action.
The Chair of the Network Plus is Andy Gouldson, co-lead for PCAN and Chair of Leeds Climate Commission.
10 June 2020
Agenda: The meeting was an opportunity to share successes, frustrations and best practice. Plans for PCAN going forward included creating a shared platform for Commissions to communicate, and quarterly meetings of the wider network. Other ambitions include collaborating on a position paper and highlighting key issues to central government to support place-based climate action.
- Briefing paper, What is a local climate commission? by Andy Gouldson and Kate Lock.
7 December 2020
Agenda: presentation of PCAN's suite of place-based Net-Zero Roadmaps by Andy Gouldson.
15 April 2021
Agenda: Local action and the 6th carbon budget: developing a framework for local delivery (Louise Marix Evans, Quantum); Edinburgh Climate Compact (Alix Davies, Edinburgh City Council); PCAN's ‘Trends in Local Climate Action in the UK’ report (Candice Howarth,LSE); Introduction to Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Independent Commission on Climate (Adrian Gault/Adrian Cannard); introduction to a research project on the economic case for local climate action (John Barry/Kate Lock).
- Read the CCC report
- Edinburgh Climate Compact
- PCAN report (a policy summary, appendices and database of council climate emergency declarations are available here)
- Cambridge and Peterborough initial report
- Watch a recording of the meeting.
14 July 2021
Agenda: Anna Beswick (Adaptation Scotland) on Climate Ready Clyde/Talx; Dr Rachel Harcourt (University of Leeds) on Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission; Engagement and communications presentation on Leeds Climate Commission by Kate Lock (PCAN); introductions from new climate commissions in Kirklees (John Atkinson and Rioghnach Dewhirst, Kirklees Council) and Norwich (Emma Smith, Norwich City Council).
- See Kate Lock's presentation on Leeds Acts Together, and the presentation by Anna Beswick on place-based climate resilience in the downloads below.
- Watch a recording of the meeting.
14 October 2021
Agenda: presentation on the Yorkshire and Humber Climate Action Plan (Andy Gouldson); updates from Edinburgh, Lincoln, Essex and Norwich Climate Commissions and reflections from each of them on the mobilisation of resources for commissions and their engagement with politics; network discussion on plans for COP26.
8 February 2022
Agenda: the main topic was a discussion, 'How can Climate Commissions reach and engage diverse communities?' Speakers were Dr Jatinder Singh Mehmi (Sikh Alliance Yorkshire, Commissioner for Yorkshire and Humber Climate Commission), Chloe Ferguson (Commissioner, Belfast Climate Commission and Chair of the Commission's Youth Working Group) and Peter Bryant of Shared Future CIC. The meeting also included updates from Jules Pretty, Chair of Essex Climate Action Commission and Clare McKeown, Sustainable Development Manager, Belfast City Council, as well as a discussion about a joint paper.
- See the leaflet from Essex Climate Action Commission in the downloads below
- A PCAN Commentary on Net Zero and Levelling Up, written by Brendan Curran with contributions from a number of members of the PCAN Network Plus, was published on 18 March 2022: https://pcancities.org.uk/net-zero-catalyst-delivering-levelling
The next meeting of the Network Plus will be on 22 June 2022, 15.00-16.30.
Join the network
To request to join the PCAN Network Plus, email email@example.com with details of your organisation and involvement in place-based climate action.
Start a conversation!
We encourage members to join our Linked In group and join in and contribute to the conversations.
If you have specific agenda items or issues you would like to present to the PCAN Network Plus, please email us.
Image: Gerd Altmann, Pixabay